My Blog List

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Card in a box

I fell in love with these card in a box cards.  I avoided trying to make them thinking they were difficult, man was I wrong.  The hardest part is coming up with the embellishments, but that is just the creative part.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can make them to fit into a standard size  envelope.
I got started making this one for my daughter's friend's birthday.  I biggest problem I had was time. I didn't give myself enough time to play around and felt pressured to finish.  The end result isn't bad but I felt I could have done more.
I used a tutorial off of Youtube. I'm sorry I didn't save the video so I can't give proper credit to the creative lady who posted the video.  There are so many good ideas out there. Pinterest and Splitcoast stampers are a great place to look.
This size box started with a piece of 8.5 by 11(inches) piece of paper. This will be cut down and fit into a standard size envelope.
I was in a hurry to finish this box and I used hot glue to adhere most of the embellishments.  It worked great and gave some of the items a "popped"up look.

I am glad I watched several videos relating to these box cards because in one of them I learned that you can use transparencies in thin strips to lift up the embellishments and have them appear to "float" out of the box (just don't make them too heavy).
Making the box takes no time at all. I spent quite a bit of time preparing the embellishments and finding just the right touches. Coordinating paper is the trick to a pleasing color scheme.
I used liquid glue to adhere most of the items on this box (I had time to let it dry). With the opening and closing of the box you need to make sure you are keeping the embellishments inside the closed box "frame" for mailing.  I find liquid glue keeps things stuck down longer and can stand up to all the handling.
This card is much larger than the purple one.  I measured the end result, and using my envelope maker I got this to fit into a 5.5 by 6.5 size envelope. The square I started with was 9.75 by 9.75(inches).  My envelope had a little wiggle room left to fit in the one petal that didn't fit inside the box.  This is what I mean by the closed box frame.
I know the next one I make for a birthday will defiantly have candles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment